Most common sentences in Spanish.
I am not going to talk you about rocket science and I bet you have listened/used some of this common sentences before, but I think it is good if you have them all in the same place so you can come and find them all here, kind of a cheatsheet.
- Sí, meaning yes, it is one of the most common, I would not call it sentences but word in the
- No, and its equivalent in English no, it is another word quite handy and popular to use too.
- Vale, in English you use ok, and sometimes Spaniards do too, but vale it is by far one of the
most common Spanish word too.
- Por favor, please, it is always nice to be nice
- Lo siento, or perdona I am sorry, handy if you are like me and walk into people when you
are lost among your thoughts.
- Gracias and muchas gracias, again, be polite
- De nada, you are welcome, when someone says gracias do not just smile 🙂
- ¿puedes ayudarme? Can you help me? A handy one if you are on holidays and you can find the closest pub 🙂
- ¿Necesitas ayuda? I need help, another way to ask for help
- Gracias por ayudarme thanks for helping me, again when someone helps us it is nice to be grateful
- Te lo agradezco I appreciate it, another way to say you are grateful
- ¿Cuánto cuesta? How much is it? A question very useful on holidays.
- No te importa, It doesn’t matter, when something is not such a big deal
- Claro/Por supuesto, of course, use it to agree with someone
- Quizás maybe/perhaps, a good one when you are not quite sure about something.
- Espera un minuto or dame un minuto, Wait a minute or give a minute, use this one when you need time to think
- ¿Entiendes? Do you understand? If you want to double check people is getting your point
- No lo entiendo, I don’t understand, when you are getting lost on someone’s else speech, use so they can re-phrase or explain it in another way
- Más despacio por favor, slower please when someone is talking high speed
- ¿puedes repetir? Can you repeat it? It will give you another chance to listen again
- Hablo un poco de español I speak a little Spanish, when you try to show off your Spanish expertise
- ¿Hablas inglés? Do you speak English? Keep this one if you are struggling with your Spansih.
- ¿Qué es esto? What is this/that? Useful…everytime!
And of course, the interrogative pronouns always come handy too
¿quién? That means who. Quién has a plural form, so if we want to ask just for one person we would say
¿quién es tu amigo? Who is your friend?
But if we want to ask for a few people we would say:
¿quienes son tus amigos? Who are your friends?
¿qué? What, it is used a bit different than in English, we could for example say
¿qué pasa? What is going on?
¿cuál? Means which and it is used a bit different than in English, like in Spanish we would use as
¿cuál es tu color favorito? What is your favourite colour?
Qué and cuál can be quite tricky, if you want to see the difference more in depth check out this blog post http://spanishconnectionedinburgh.co.uk/when-to-use-que-and-cual-in-spanish/
¿cómo? Is how, and we use to ask for the way of something, for example
¿cómo cocinas la paella? How do you cook paella?
¿por qué? Means why , and we use it the same way than in English
¿por qué estudias español? Why do you study Spanish?
¿dónde? Where, again quite straight forward
¿dónde vas de vacaciones? Where do you go on holidays?
¿cuándo? Is when and there is not different with its English equivalent
¿cuándo es tu cumpleaños? When is your birthday?
And that my friend was today blog. I hope you enjoyed it, and now it is your time, I would love if you could let me know.
If you are a beginner if this blog was helpful
And if you are not a beginner if these sentences have saved your life at some point, or if that is quite drastic just if you think these sentences come handy.
-What is the most useful Spanish sentence from your point of view?
Also feel free to leave a comment with one of the sentences above
As usual I would love to hear from you and I would be forever grateful if you could share this message with someone who is starting on their Spanish journey or they just recently started.
Take care and I will write you soon